Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Salut de France (le troisieme)

Day 7

Tree house

The safe in our room is too small to accept my lap top so I decided that rather than carrying it around as I have been; I would conceal it on top of the wardrobe. I stood on a slightly wobbly chair to achieve this. I am thinking about stepping down when it shoots out behind me and my attempt to regain my balance results in it returning sharply to the vertical. I am however horizontal now, hovering for a fraction of a second six inches above it. What happened next was quite sore.

Quite sore (too many abdomen shots, ed.)

We walked to the old town to see the flower market but there was a flea market there instead. After an orange presse we pressed on into the little alleys and came across a building called the Palais Lascarais. It was impressive in the way that it was so vertical in a tight space. I particularly liked the way the small (room size) courtyards, (open to the elements) were treated almost like indoor spaces. They were cool because they were so deep (and presumably fairly dry in the rain). My ideal house would have outdoor space for living in, rather than (or as well as)a garden.

Alley Palais

Returned to the hotel kind of early after a drink in a Libyan place which came with falafels and dips and things; nice. Enjoyed a comedy cocktail in the hotel bar. Asked for a vodka martini and the woman said she'd have to get the barman. He came and gave me a glass with vodka, sweet martini, a chunk of lemon rind and an olive in it. Not very Sanderson Hotel, but you had to admire its gung-ho attitude.

Those balconies and windows are painted on.

Saw no celebrities today but did dream that Bob Geldof stopped me in the street to mention how much he liked my jacket.

Day 8

Best lunch of the holiday so far at a place called Karr on a nice little street with willow trees on either side shimmering in the breeze. I ordered something called Poelee de seiches which was delicious (google has just explained to me that it is cuttlefish; I had not asked in the restaurant) followed by figs in port. Call me naff but I will be returning before I go back to England; I wanted everything that I saw being eaten at the other tables.

Bought some black toilet rolls and other toiletries.

Other tall trees

No comments: