Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Word of the week

As I wended my way through my copy of Alan Bennett's Untold Stories this week I encountered the word "enfilade" which I am reliably informed means either a "volley of gunfire directed along a line from end to end" or a "suite of rooms with doorways in line with each other". In order to help it settle in the word section of my brain, in a place where I have the slightest chance of retrieving it when needed, I have decided that as part of this new and ongoing feature, I will supply (for my own benefit) a sentence incorporating the word of the week.

"An enfilade of piss arced from behind the bush into a noisy puddle beneath the streetlight".

2 comments:

Dominic said...

I must say I think this word of the week thing is a brilliant idea and one that I hope we shall see becoming a regular feature.

Might I add that I may be wrong here, but wouldn't the aforementioned stream of piss need to be travelling in a straight line in order for it to be described as an enfilade rather than an arc?

I'm looking forward to the next one.

ab said...

Getting my urine to travel in a straight line is provign tricky.