Monday, August 15, 2005

Megalithic

We spent last week in Scotland. We arrived on the Monday and spent till Wednesday in Glasgow where we took in some restaurants and pipe bands (an unexpected pleasure) and selected the elements that will form my mum's new bathroom.

Monday evening we ate at Cafe Gandolfini in the Merchant City having enjoyed a drink in the Bar Gandolfini upstairs. I would recommend both, the haggis was very good. The following day we met Dom and ate at Fratelli Sarti in Wellington Street. I liked the atmosphere here and the food was ok. Dabbling in my own kitchen as I do, I felt that my Modena sausage with lentils and tomato sauce was a good enough bit of tuck but not a twelve quid dish. Dom had the Tuscan sausage on his pizza observing that maybe TVR names it's cars after sausages. Lunch on Wednesday was at Grassroots. The salads looked very fresh; my Thai soup could have powered Discovery into orbit.

Then off to Castleton (a handful of houses) near Lochgilphead. We lounged about on the Thursday and took the ferry to Arran on Friday.


Monolithic

There we came across Machrie Moor, the site of countless stone circles and burial grounds. I love a good stone circle.

1 comment:

Dominic said...

oops - my comment on the post below, probably should have been attached to this post.