Monday, February 20, 2006

Operation Goldfrapp

Day 1: I am sitting in Edinburgh Airport where I expect to be collected by Dom in an hour or so. The concert isn’t till tomorrow so I will have a day in Edinburgh. The trip here has been uneventful; I got the train to the Crawley Arndale Centre (Gatwick Airport) from where I flew in a shiny new Easyjet plane. They seem to be trying to brush up their act, the pilot sounded like a British Airways one; he called me “sir” as I disembarked.

Behind me on the flight were two middle aged Americans, they were next to an elderly English chap. They kept asking him questions about Scotland; various things including its currency and whether it was still England out the window when old boy was pointing out the Forth Bridge to them. The septuagenarian made my day, apparently he couldn’t hear very well or he just felt like telling them whatever he fancied and provided them with all sorts of duff or irrelevant info. The Pittsburgers revealed that they were on a fourteen day tour which started in London, then on to Edinboroe, Paris, Rome, Barcelona and Denmark (the city of). Sounds like two weeks in airports, planes, taxis and hotels.

Day 2: So I am now sitting in the living room of the flat that Dom uses during the week in a place called East Calder. When I ventured out earlier, I discovered two café’s one furnished with old lounge furniture and old people, a Co-op, two sun tan places (one spray-on called Peely Wally, which if you are not Scottish means kind of off colour), the East Calder Electronics Centre; a tiny shop with old TVs, a newsagent called Jimmy’s Pay-n-take, proprietors A& J Ahmed and a handsome church.

Having been up and down the street I settled for the second café. There I experienced an emotional hour as I tasted a breakfast the like of which I would have enjoyed at my grandma’s when I was a kid. I looked at the menu and wanted everything. I settled for the standard breakfast (having to give up the Scotch Pie) and despite my not getting on with wheat ordered a roll which, with sausage and tea hit the button. It must be the water, but tea in Scotland tastes delicious.














At about half 5, Paulo and Paul collected us and took us to the Blue Blazer pub where we met up with everyone. Three pints of Baltica (Russian beer) later we headed for the Usher Hall to watch Ms Goldfrapp doing her thing. A good gig despite the bass player’s hat. The rest of the evening zoomed by at two or three drinking and dancing places. I notice that at this age my ability to remember what goes on this type of evening is rubbish, although I am confident I had fun and am looking forward to the opportunity to go back and do it all again. I particularly enjoyed meeting people whom I had only met via email previously. The evening came to a close after Dom and I had a couple of Pot Noodles at about 2.30; it might be 20 years since I had a Pot Noodle; we used to enjoy them at school, particularly during a post Sunday evening service episode of Hart to Hart. Thanks to all concerned.

Day 3: up reasonably early, Dom dropped me at Livingston South railway station, where I set off for Glasgow. What a beautiful day; clear skies.

The pier at Invereray (where the bus stopped for a pee break)







From Glasgow I got the bus to Castleton near Lochgilphead. There I spent a couple of nights at my Mum’s; I ate some nice food, had a good walk and enjoyed a Hopi Ear Candle treatment.

Captions welcome....

1 comment:

Dominic said...

Thanks for cominig up Adrian - I had a really great time.

And your photos are exceedingly fyne.