Friday, February 24, 2006

Questions for cash

The thing is that apparently you can’t do much with £50m cash these days. I bought a car earlier this month and when the payment method was discussed it was as though, if you propose using any reasonable amount of cash to purchase your BMW, then you must have a part time job importing crack dope dragon or the like. They told me it is all about the money laundering laws. But there are two sides to this coin. Why have cash at all? I suppose it is a bit like the arms business in that the very fact that it is there, creates jobs and more money. It is a healthy and natural feeling to go out with a bit of cash in your pocket; like having a satisfactory dump. But surely we are not far away from a world where I walk into a pub and the chip just beneath the skin somewhere in my left arm, lets the barman know that I usually spend a lot of money in places like his (on vodka and lime). By the time I ask him for a drink he can make a polite comment about the new jacket that he knows I bought earlier in the week. I am free to leave the bar without handing over cash or producing a card as the bill will appear on my personal statement in due course and goodness knows whether it will be correct; the bosses of boozers like Easypub will be loving it and I’ll be even less in control of my life. A gizmo that you can charge up over some kind of network and debit in shops, that shows what credit is left would be nice; something else my phone could do except that I can’t even tell how much my phone bill is going to be.

No comments: