Wednesday, February 22, 2006

See prism specs........

So I am supposed to be going to have an operation on 16 March to remove a kind of hernia thing which I have had since I was about 12 but which has become a bit bigger lately; it is just below my sternum, right here by the edge of my desk. They say that unless it is incised it will go on becoming bigger and apart from not being one of my most attractive features it seems to be weakening the area around it, so it is probably best out of here. I also sometimes wonder if it might be a kind of a pararsite that I feed with my various worries and which, it would appear, my various attempts to starve have failed.

I am not afraid of the process but I would really like to be able to see what goes on when they cut me open; instead I will waken in some mild discomfort not knowing if they found an alien in there and what exactly they did to sort out some unforeseen problem they encountered. I feel uncomfortable enough about taking my car for a service; who knows what has gone on during the day, what abuse it has suffered in the hands of the mechanic whose wife is sleeping with his best mate.

My dad mentioned that he saw a programme on TV recently featuring a woman who was having heart surgery without anaesthetic, she had had a number of strategically placed acupuncture needles inserted about her body and was able to chat to the surgeon during the operation. This is what I would like to do. In fact I could wear my prism glasses and observe proceedings without having to have my head lifted up. Have I mentioned my prism glasses?

I think so but in case you don’t know about them, here is a photo. I wear them most nights to read or watch TV.

My friend Ralph made a rather good suggestion the other day. Why don’t those lugers wear them. The commentators are always reporting how some competitor or other has thrown his medal chances in the bin because he or she lifted their head to have a look where they were going. I think I will approach the manufacturers of those super smooth helmets they wear to suggest that a couple of carefully positioned prisms should be glued to the inside of the racers’ visors.

There is a difference between Yoda-esquely feeling your way down the course and being happy to have the lights switched off to avoid the truth.

No comments: